eat up/run out/kill the clockidiom
Definition of eat up/run out/kill the clock
: to keep control of the ball or puck near the end of a game so that the opponent will not have a chance to score We kept moving the ball to try to eat up the clock. If we can run out the clock, we can keep our lead and win.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 12/6/19
- Getting with the ‘Program’ (or ‘Programme’)
- Why Do We Say Teams Get a 'Bye'?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/29/19
Ask the Editors
- Semantic Drift Quiz Take the quiz
- A Thanksgiving Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game