ease up onphrasal verb
eased up on; easing up on; eases up on
Definition of ease up on
1 : to treat (someone) in a less harsh or demanding way The students might respond better if the teacher eased up on them a little.
2 : to apply less pressure to (something) ease up on the accelerator
3 : to do or use less of (something) My doctor told me I should ease up on fatty foods.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game