ears prick (up)idiom
Definition of ears prick (up)
of an animal
: to cause (the ears) to point upward The dog's ears pricked up at the sound. —used figuratively of people to suggest listening carefully Her ears pricked (up) when they said her name.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game