Definition of dyer's-weed
1 : any of several dye-yielding plants (as the dyer's rocket, the woodwaxen, the dyer's woad)
2 : any of certain plants of the genus Solidago (especially S. nemoralis and S. rugosa) whose yellow flowers are occasionally used in dyeing
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game