Definition of Suriname
1 or formerly Dutch Guiana or Netherlands Guiana country in northern South America bordering on the Atlantic between Guyana and French Guiana; capital Paramaribo area 63,251 square miles (163,820 square kilometers), population 541,638
Note: Now a republic, Suriname was until 1975 a territory of the Netherlands.
2 river in northern Suriname flowing north into the Atlantic
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game