Definition of Suriname
1 or formerly Dutch Guiana or Netherlands Guiana country in northern South America bordering on the Atlantic between Guyana and French Guiana; capital Paramaribo area 63,251 square miles (163,820 square kilometers), population 541,638
Note: Now a republic, Suriname was until 1975 a territory of the Netherlands.
2 river in northern Suriname flowing north into the Atlantic
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game