dutch bluenoun, often capitalized D
Definition of dutch blue
1 : a variable color averaging a moderate blue that is redder and darker than average copen, redder, lighter, and stronger than azurite blue, and redder and deeper than Dresden blue
2 : a grayish blue that is redder and paler than electric or copenhagen and lighter than Gobelin
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game