Definition of driving wheel
: a wheel that communicates motion: such as
a : one of the large wheels of a locomotive to which the side rods are attached and which are driven by the engine connecting rods : driver
b : the main wheel of a watch or clock that transmits the driving power of the spring, weight, or electromagnetic impulse to the succeeding parts of the train
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game