variants: or drilling mud
Definition of drilling fluid
: a mixture of clay and other chemicals with oil or water that is circulated around the drill bit in oil-well drilling in order to lubricate and cool the bit, flush rock cuttings to the surface, and plaster the side of the well to prevent cave-ins
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game