drep·a·ne | \ ˈdrepə(ˌ)nē\
Definition of drepane
1 capitalized : a genus (coextensive with a family Drepanidae) of compressed percoid food fishes comprising a single species (D. punctata) and having a protrusible mouth that when extended forms a tubular downward projection
2 plural -s : any fish of the genus Drepane
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game