dredge upphrasal verb
dredged up; dredging up; dredges up
Definition of dredge up
: to start talking or thinking again about (something unpleasant that happened a long time ago) Reporters dredged up the fact that the senator avoided the military draft. She didn't like to dredge up bad memories.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game