Definition of double jump
1 : the action of capturing two of an opponent's checkers in one move of successive jumps with the same piece
2 : a double hurdle consisting typically of two fences set at such a distance that a horse must jump each in turn
3 : a bid in bridge of two tricks more than necessary to overcall (as three spades over one club)
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game