Definition of double dash
: a graphic character consisting of two long parallel horizontal dashes of which the top one is heavy and the bottom one light that is sometimes used to mark page or column divisions in printed matter
— called also oxford dash
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game