don/wear sackcloth and ashesidiom
Definition of don/wear sackcloth and ashes
: to publicly express or show sorrow or regret for having done something wrong He should be forced to wear sackcloth and ashes and apologize for his lies.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game