Definition of dolphinfish
: either of two colorful, iridescent, saltwater fish (Coryphaena equiselis and C. hippurus of the family Coryphaenidae) that are widely distributed in tropical and temperate seas and have a long laterally compressed body and a deeply forked tail fin
Note: The common dolphinfish (Coryphaena hippurus) is valued as a food fish and is often called mahi-mahi.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game