dock·​age | \ ˈdä-kij How to pronounce dockage (audio) \

Definition of dockage

1 : a charge for the use of a dock
2 : the docking of ships
3 : docking facilities

Examples of dockage in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web About 20% of the funding will come from the Port Authority, the other 80% from a surcharge on exports and an increase in dockage fees. al, "Change on the waterfront: New docks head sees growing statewide impact," 27 Nov. 2020 In East Jordan, city officials increased several boat dockage fees associated with East Jordan Tourist Park and are warning campers continued high lake levels could impact their camping reservations. Steve Foley, Detroit Free Press, "Great Lakes water levels are higher than last year at this time," 11 Jan. 2020 Hotels, campsites and public dockage are expected to be at capacity, organizers say. Laura Johnston,, "Kid Rock headlines Put-in-Bay’s third annual Bash at the Bay: Everything you need to know," 26 Aug. 2019 Photo: Nickolas Sargent Photos Amenities include a movie theater, dockage for a 90-foot yacht, a four-car garage, an outdoor pool with ornate statues, a game room and two guesthouses, Mr. Carvajal said. Katherine Clarke, WSJ, "Coral Gables Waterfront Estate Asks Record $55 Million," 15 June 2018 The villas will be comprised of eight waterfront homes, each with private boat dockage, and seven garden villas. Jennifer Boehm,, "Ritz-Carlton Residences Miami Beach is taking its amenities to new heights — literally," 15 Dec. 2017 The Sails offers 2,500 linear feet of dockage and can accommodate a range of boat sizes, said Derek Dettman of Dettman Properties in Fort Lauderdale who co-brokered the transaction on behalf of the land owner JDM Harbor Heights. Arlene Satchell,, "The Sails Marina now under same ownership as Hyatt Regency Pier 66," 13 July 2017 Located at 879 Coventry St., the home sits on a corner lot and possesses 180 feet of dockage along the Intracoastal — sufficient room to park a yacht (or two). Jennifer Boehm,, "Grotto a hidden treasure at Boca Raton mansion," 5 May 2017 Norwegian would be required to pay dockage and wharfage fees according to rates for small vessels through September 2017 and then pay full county tariff rates from Oct. 1 to Sept. 30, 2019. Chabeli Herrera, miamiherald, "A new Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings terminal could be coming to PortMiami," 3 May 2017

These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'dockage.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.

See More

First Known Use of dockage

1648, in the meaning defined at sense 1

Keep scrolling for more

Learn More about dockage

Time Traveler for dockage

Time Traveler

The first known use of dockage was in 1648

See more words from the same year

Statistics for dockage

Cite this Entry

“Dockage.” Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, Accessed 7 May. 2021.

Style: MLA
MLACheck Mark Icon ChicagoCheck Mark Icon APACheck Mark Icon Merriam-WebsterCheck Mark Icon

Comments on dockage

What made you want to look up dockage? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).


Test Your Vocabulary

Star Wars Words Quiz

  • cu jedi training
  • The bounty portion of bounty hunters (such as Boba Fett) comes from a Latin word meaning
How Strong Is Your Vocabulary?

Test your vocabulary with our 10-question quiz!

Universal Daily Crossword

A daily challenge for crossword fanatics.

Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!