Definition of distinguishing flag
1 : any of certain flags flown to indicate the presence of an officer of high rank or of the holder of a high governmental office —used in the British navy and the U.S. Army — compare personal flag
2 : a flag flown to identify the headquarters of a major unit of the U.S. Army that does not have an organizational color or standard
3 : a flag indicative of the ownership of a vessel (as the house flag of a commercial ship or the private signal of a yacht)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?