di·sphenoid | \ (ˈ)dī+\
Definition of disphenoid
1 : a wedge-shaped crystal form of the tetragonal or orthorhombic system having four like triangular faces that correspond in position to alternate faces of the tetragonal or orthorhombic dipyramid and being symmetrical about each of three mutually perpendicular diad axes of symmetry in all classes except the tetragonal-disphenoidal in which the form is generated by an inverse tetrad axis of symmetry
2 : a form of crystal bounded by eight scalene triangles arranged in pairs : the tetragonal scalenohedron
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
- Is 'Cement' 'Concrete'?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game