variants: or dispatch case
Definition of dispatch box
1 : an oblong box or case usually with a lock for carrying dispatches or other papers
2 chiefly British : a stiff case (as of metal) in the style of a briefcase
3 Dispatch Box or dispatch box, British : a box used as a lectern for officials addressing the House of Commons The Chancellor is still pinning his faith on business. Every time he's stood at the Dispatch Box, he's announced further corporation tax cuts …— Robert Colvile, The (London) Telegraph, 20 Mar. 2013
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?