Definition of directrix
1 archaic : directress
2 : a fixed curve with which a generatrix maintains a given relationship in generating a geometric figure specifically : a straight line the distance to which from any point of a conic section is in fixed ratio to the distance from the same point to a focus
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game