Definition of direct method
: a teaching method that seeks to dispense with theoretical discussion and historical considerations in favor of concrete observation and practical experience specifically : a method of teaching a language through conversation, discussion, and reading in the language itself without translation and without the study of formal grammar
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game