di·ox·o·lane | \ dīˈäksəˌlān\
Definition of dioxolane
1 : a water-soluble liquid cyclic acetal C3H6O2 made usually from formaldehyde and ethylene glycol that is capable of polymerizing to poly-acetal resins having essentially the open-chain structure (−OCH2OCH2CH2−)χ
— called also 1,3- dioxolane
2 : a derivative of dioxolane made usually by reaction of an aldehyde or ketone with formaldehyde, many such derivatives being capable of polymerizing to useful products (such as supports for photographic emulsions)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?