Definition of dimetrodon
: an extinct, North American, primitive synapsid (genus Dimetrodon) of the early Permian comprising terrestrial carnivores of moderate size having both canine and shearing teeth and distinguished by a large dorsal crest resembling a sail supported by greatly elongated bony processes of the spinal column
Note: Dimetrodons are often mistaken for dinosaurs but were extinct more than 35 million years before dinosaurs appeared on earth.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?