Definition of differential pulley
: a tackle consisting of a fixed upper double block with pulleys of different diameters fixed together on the same axis, a movable single lower pulley that carries the load, and an endless cable or chain that passes around all the pulleys and hangs in a loop for operating the mechanism which is used to achieve a very high mechanical advantage
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game