dies ne·fas·tus | \ -āsneˈfästəs\
plural dies nefasti\ -ˌstē \
Definition of dies nefastus
: a day on which secular activities were forbidden in ancient Rome specifically : a day on which the courts were closed and it was illegal (as for the praetors) to transact public judicial affairs
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?