Definition of diazo oxide
: any of a class of compounds (as diazodinitrophenol) that contain a diazo group and an oxygen atom attached to ortho positions of an aromatic nucleus and are formed by the action of nitrous acid on ortho-aminophenols with loss of water, a few of these compounds finding use as initiating explosives and in diazotypes
— called also diazophenol
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?