Definition of devil's-tongue
1 : a prickly pear (Opuntia compressa)
2 : a foul-smelling somewhat fleshy tropical bulbous herb (Hydrosme rivieri or Amorphophallus rivieri) of the family Aracaceae that is sometimes grown in the greenhouse for its large leaves and showy dark red spathe surrounding a long spadix
— called also snake palm
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game