Definition of devil's-tongue
1 : a prickly pear (Opuntia compressa)
2 : a foul-smelling somewhat fleshy tropical bulbous herb (Hydrosme rivieri or Amorphophallus rivieri) of the family Aracaceae that is sometimes grown in the greenhouse for its large leaves and showy dark red spathe surrounding a long spadix
— called also snake palm
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?