Definition of devil ray
: any of various very large rays (genera Manta and Mobula of the family Mobulidae) widely distributed in warm seas that have large, triangular, winglike pectoral fins and a pair of hornlike lobes near the mouth which are used to guide plankton and other small aquatic organisms into the mouth, that typically lack a stinger on the tail, and that reproduce viviparously producing one or two offspring at birth
— called also devilfish— compare manta ray
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game