Definition of detention center
1 : a place where people who have entered a country illegally are kept for a period of time
2 : a place where people who have committed crimes are kept as punishment She spent several months in a detention center for women. a juvenile detention center
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game