descend tophrasal verb
descended to; descending to; descends to
Definition of descend to
1 formal : to become owned by (someone) when the former owner has died : to become an inheritance to The estate descended to her from her grandparents.
2 : to lower oneself by doing (something) She was desperate for money, but she would not descend to asking her friends for help.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game