descend tophrasal verb
Definition of descend to
1 formal : to become owned by (someone) when the former owner has died : to become an inheritance to The estate descended to her from her grandparents.
2 : to lower oneself by doing (something) She was desperate for money, but she would not descend to asking her friends for help.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game