de·perm | \ (ˈ)dē¦pərm \
Definition of deperm
: to demagnetize partly (a ship's steel hull) as a precaution against magnetic mines by surrounding in dry dock with a large coil through which is sent an alternating current very strong at first but gradually diminishing in intensity — compare degauss
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game