depend on/uponphrasal verb
depended on/upon; depending on/upon; depends on/upon
Definition of depend on/upon
1 : to be determined or decided by (something) We're not sure if we'll have the picnic. It depend s on the weather. "Will you go back to college?" "I don't know. It depends on whether or not I can afford it." The stamp's value depends on how rare it is. Depending upon your child's weight and height, she or he may have to sit in the back seat of the car.
2 : to need (someone or something) for support, help, etc. He no longer depends on his parents for money. They depend heavily/largely/solely/entirely on her income to pay the bills.
3 : to be sure about (someone or something) : to trust (someone or something) The manufacturer promises quality you can depend on. She will be remembered as a woman upon whom people could depend. —sometimes used humorously I can always depend on it to rain on days when I forget my umbrella.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
- Words with Lost Meanings
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game