plural denitrifying bacteria
Definition of denitrifying bacterium
: any of various bacteria (such as denitrification and Paracoccus denitrificans) that bring about —used especially of forms that reduce nitrates to nitrites or nitrites to nitrogen gas (such as many common putrefactive organisms of manure and soil) — see achromobacter
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game