variants: or de-mine
demined or de-mined; demining or de-mining; demines or de-mines
Definition of demine
: to remove mines and especially unexploded land mines from (an area) An estimated 100 million unexploded land mines stud the globe, and experts say it would take 10,000 years to demine Cambodia alone, using present methods.— Adam Marcus, Christian Science Monitor, 6 May 1998 In Afghanistan, sergeant Murphy needs to take care to ride only in areas that have been de-mined. “I am basically riding on a paved road through a minefield,” he says.— Christine Mattheis, Bicycling, July 2008
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game