variants: or deferred asset
Definition of deferred charge
: an expense (as a prepaid insurance premium or an inventory of supplies) that is incurred prior to the fiscal period to which it applies, temporarily carried on the books as an asset, and subsequently charged to expense at the appropriate time
— called also prepaid expense
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game