defer tophrasal verb
deferred to; deferring to; defers to
Definition of defer to
1 : to allow (someone else) to decide or choose something You have more experience with this, so I'm going to defer to you. deferring to the experts
2 defer to (something) : to agree to follow (someone else's decision, a tradition, etc.) The court defers to precedent in cases like these. He deferred to his parents' wishes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?