de·cul·tur·a·tion | \ (ˈ)dē¦kəlchə¦rāshən also də̇¦k-\
Definition of deculturation
: the process of divesting a tribe or people of their indigenous traits for many native peoples brought involuntarily and reluctantly into contact with western civilization, acculturation is all too often deculturation— David Bidney
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game