ami de courFrench noun phrase
Definition of ami de cour
(Entry 1 of 2)
: court friend : insincere friend
ballet de cournoun
Definition of ballet de cour (Entry 2 of 2)
: a type of ballet performed as part of a celebration for the French royal court in the 16th and 17th centuries By the middle of the sixteenth century Italian dancing masters were working in France, attracted in part by the presence of Catherine de' Medici as Queen of France, and it is at this time we note the emergence of the ballet de cour.— Mary Clarke & Clement Crisp, The Ballet Goer's Guide, 1981
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?