dean of guild
Definition of dean of guild
1 : the head of a guild (as in medieval and some existing European guilds) having the power to summon the members to meetings
2 : a magistrate of a Scottish burgh or town formerly having jurisdiction of mercantile causes within a burgh and still entrusted with the inspection of and control over the construction, alteration, or repair of buildings
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?