deal withphrasal verb
Definition of deal with
1 : to be about (something) : to have (something) as a subject Her speech dealt with health care and the nation's economy. The film deals with some serious issues.
2 : to make business agreements with (someone) He deals fairly with all his customers. Their salespeople are very easy to deal with.
3 : to do something about (a person or thing that causes a problem or difficult situation) The government dealt harshly with the rebels. I'll deal with you later. We weren't able/equipped/prepared to deal with such a large crowd of people.
4 : to accept or try to accept (something that is true and cannot be changed) She's still trying to deal with his death. The weather is bad, but we'll just have to deal with it.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game