Definition of dead time
1 : the short interval which is required for a counting tube to recover its sensitivity after any one discharge and during which it is incapable of further response
2 : the time lag between a stimulus given to an instrument and the resulting response
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game