Definition of dead freight
1 : the amount paid by or recoverable from a charterer of a ship for such part of the ship's capacity as the charterer has contracted for but fails to occupy also : the unoccupied space in such a ship
2 : bulky nonperishable freight
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?