Definition of day hike
- … set up a base camp deep in Escalante Canyon, one of the most popular sections of Grand Staircase-Escalante. From there we'll explore the northeastern portion of the monument in a series of long day hikes.
- —Traveler, April 2000
day hikeror less commonly day-hiker noun, plural day hikers also day-hikers
- Once the day hikers are gone, the hush is profound in this 7,020-acre wilderness …
- —Mike Steere, Outside, April 1993
day hikingor less commonly day-hiking noun
- Clinging precariously to the bouldered canyons, the palms provide wonderful opportunities for photography, day-hiking and picnicking.
- —Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, 1992
day-hikeintransitive verb day-hiked; day-hiking; day-hikes
- He has day-hiked through the Enchantments, going in over Aasgard Pass and coming out by way of the Snow Lakes trail.
- —Scott Sandsberry, Yakima (Washington) Herald-Republic, 6 Dec. 2011