variants: or less commonly damnyankee \ (ˈ)dam , (ˈ)daam+ˈ⸗⸗ \
Definition of damyankee
: a native or inhabitant of the northern states of the U.S. as distinguished from a Southerner —not often in formal use blaming our troubles, if we were southern, more on the damyankee— Lillian Smiththe South is considered with what seems to this damyankee extraordinary fairness— Clifton Fadiman
Keep scrolling for more
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game