Definition of damper winding
: a short-circuited squirrel-cage winding placed in the pole faces and around the pole shoes of synchronous machines, the currents induced in the winding by the periodic variations in synchronous speed having the effect of a damper
— called also amortisseur
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game