Definition of dairy breed
: a cattle breed developed primarily for the production of milk rather than meat (as the Holstein-Friesian, Jersey, Guernsey, or Ayrshire) and characterized by the ability to convert a large proportion of their food into milk, by angular bodies that do not take on flesh readily, and by comparatively long legs and neck — compare beef breed, dual-purpose
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game