Definition of dairy breed
: a cattle breed developed primarily for the production of milk rather than meat (as the Holstein-Friesian, Jersey, Guernsey, or Ayrshire) and characterized by the ability to convert a large proportion of their food into milk, by angular bodies that do not take on flesh readily, and by comparatively long legs and neck — compare beef breed, dual-purpose
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game