Definition of dado
(Entry 1 of 2)
1a : the part of a pedestal of a column above the base
b : the lower part of an interior wall when specially decorated or faced also : the decoration adorning this part of a wall
2 : a rectangular groove cut to make a joint in woodworking specifically : one cut across the grain
Definition of dado (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : to provide with a dado
2a : to set into a groove
b : to cut a dado in (something, such as a plank)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game