cy·pris | \ ˈsīprə̇s \
Definition of cypris
1 capitalized : a genus (the type of the family Cyprididae) of small ostracod crustaceans that live in stagnant fresh water
2 plural cyprides\ ˈsipraˌdēz \ : a developmental form of a barnacle in which the shell is bivalved as in members of the genus Cypris
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game