variants: or cutlassfish
plural cutlass fishes or cutlassfish or cutlassfishes
Definition of cutlass fish
: any of a family (Trichiuridae) of eellike fish of warm seas especially : a silvery fish (Trichiurus lepturus) with an elongate body tapering to a hairlike filament and lacking caudal and pelvic fins
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?