cut off one's nose to spite one's faceidiom
Definition of cut off one's nose to spite one's face
: to do something that is meant to harm someone else but that also harms the person who does it You can refuse to talk to her if you like, but you're just cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game